It's that time of year again. When Sydney-siders play that word association game. Say the word that first comes to mind. March goes with...
And what a line up they are dishing up for March Into Merivale Show-Off and Chef Signature series events this year.
WEDNESDAY - SHOW-OFF:
Food lovers can enter a new world every Wednesday with a host of spectacular showcase series.
· Between Two Buns, 17 February, Palings ($45): Which of the talented Merivale chefs makes the best burger? From a dozen entries, a panel of burger experts have whittled the naughty cheat-day treats down to six finalists. Guests can try each on the night and vote for their pick of the pack.
· European Laneway, Darling, 24 February, Ash St. Laneway ($45): With stalls from Felix, Ash St, Bistrode CBD, Lorraine’s Patisserie, The Paddington, Uccello and Palings, this fabulously frivolous event under the stars encourages all guests to embrace their Inner European and indulge in the pick of the continent's food, wine and entertainment.
· Wok On, 2 March, Establishment ($45): Following the incredible success of its debut last year, this wild and enticing mix of Asian fare, cocktails and old-school hip-hop beats is upping the ante in 2016. Featuring signature dishes from Ms. G’s, Mr. Wong, Sunee’s Thai Canteen, sushi e and the soon-to-be-launched Queen Chow.
· Room for One More, 9 March, Establishment Hotel ($75): Taking over sixteen rooms of the super luxe Establishment Hotel, this is an extravagant night of cocktail exploration and theatrical escapism. From retro pop to French baroque, each room has a theme, with creations from Palmer & Co., Hemmesphere, J&M, ivy Pool Club, Coogee Pavilion, Papi Chulo, Ms. G’s and El Loco.
· Bubble with Guilt, 16 March, Hemmesphere ($85): Showcasing all things champagne, this intimate and seductive affair offers a taste of over twenty luxurious vintages at the iconic cocktail lounge.
THURSDAY - CHEF SIGNATURE:
Food enthusiasts can join Merivale’s most illustrious chefs for once-in-a-lifetime dining experiences:
· Chopsticks & Dope Kicks, 18 February, Ms.G’s ($150) - Sneaker devotee Dan Hong collaborates with Subtype, Sneaker Freaker mag and Ms.G’s head chef Paul Donnelly to create a limited addition sneaker exhibition and curated Asian feast.
· Shellfishness, 25 February, Secret Location ($200) - Coogee Pavilion’s Jordan Toft and est.’s Peter Doyle come together for a spectacular seafood banquet in a top-secret location.
· All Pleasure, No Guilt, 3 March, est. ($300) - An ode to silver service, seven hatted Merivale chefs combined their talents for a five course, nine hatted dinner in the grandiose est. dining room.
· A Night in Paris, 10 March, Ash St. Laneway ($200) - The Paddington’s Ben Greeno and Felix’s Nathan Johnson join forces for a long table Francophile fest under the stars.
· The Kitchen Table, 17 March, Uccello ($200) - Danielle Alvarez, Chez Panisse alum and head chef of the hotly tipped Fred’s, and Nadine Levy, home cook, author and wife of Rene Redzepi, share their passion for local, organic produce to create home-cooking at its finest.
By the way, march we might want to do but you need to march early, as the event title is a little bit of a misnomer.